Brian Allard is the artistic director of the Original Practice Shakespeare Festival (Ops Fest), a company member of the Fuse Theatre Ensemble, and a former member of the Brody Theatre. He received training in Shakespeare from the Globe Theatre in London as well as the New England Shakespeare Festival. His improv traning started at the Brave New Workshop in Minneapolis, and continued in London and New York. Brian moved to Portland 5 years ago after appearing off Broadway in The Tempest and Aurora Leigh. Brian teaches improv and Shakespeare classes and masterclasses throughout the Portland area through Ops Fest and the Portland Park and Rec.
Reasons why I should sub for you:
1) It's like a free masterclass. I am an expert in both Improv for Theatre and Shakespeare, and often get hired to go into schools to teach masterclasses in these subjects- but you can get this material simply by hiring me as a sub. It's like a guest teacher that the district pays for.
2) I am a trained Theatre teacher. I know this subject, have years of experience teaching it, and prefer theatre and drama classrooms over any other. I am able to execute any lesson plan you may set, and am also ready with lessons of my own. Improv, Stage Combat and Shakespeare are my specialties, but I can handle whatever you need.
3) I am an expert in classroom management. I have 10 years of substitute teaching experience, in both urban and suburban settings, including two years in Brooklyn and Queens in New York City. My one year teaching full time was at the Cumberland School in London's East End - one of the toughest schools in the country. I know what it takes to come in and control a classroom right away.
4) I am willing to work with you outside class time. My goal is to provide the best possible experience, and I'm not worried about "the clock."
5) A regular classroom sub provides continuity and consistency that is important. As I work with your classroom more and more often, I get to know the students and am able to better tailor my teaching to their needs. This means sub days no longer need to be lost days.
6) I am not after your job. I am a professional actor and director who works as a substitute during the day. I'm very happy with the work I do, and am not looking for full time work in the public schools.
Contact me at Brian@BrianAllard.net or 503-890-6944
Districts I am registered to sub in
Multnomah ESD (Now includes Gresham)
West Linn / Wilsonville